Sunday, December 14, 2008

Snowy Wakeup!






We've heard predictions of this snowfall for three or four days, and it has arrived on the 'valley floor' (as the weathermen call it) this morning!! I went outside in my robe and slippers to take a few photos this morning, while it was fresh and falling. In the distance I hear the students wildly cheering for 'no school tomorrow'. While I would welcome a day off from school, it means an additional day is tacked on at the end of the school year, during the often hot month of June. For me this additional day in June is meaningless. I need the additional day added in during this current semester, to allow students to finish their projects. (I won't see the current batch of kids next semester). I've lobbied for this in emails to the decision makers, and they understand the point, but didn't make the change two years ago, (the last time this happened in 2007)...that year, we were in school until June 21, making it the longest school year in history! I flew out to Germany two days later, just in time for Anna's arrival on the 24th.


Well, must dash...I forgot that I need to mix up a batch of gingerbread. Jasper and I are making gingerbread houses this afternoon and the dough needs a few hours to chill before rolling and cutting out the architecture. Jolly Rancher candies are added into the windows 1/2 way through the baking. They create the most wonderful stained glass windows! When I assemble the house I put mini lights in the interior, glued down with royal icing and the glow from within is absolutely charming.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh, I love the Jolly Rancher stained-glass window idea! Must try that next year!!