Sunday, October 25, 2009

Old bowls from my childhood


Did you grow up with these bowls in your kitchen? After nearly 37 years of being married and on my own I found myself hankering to have these bowls in my own kitchen.

I found three (yellow, red, green) this week at an antique/Christmas/wedding gown bazaar in Beaverton. I think I got a pretty good deal (they were individually priced) at $36 for three. I'm bidding on the small blue bowl on ebay as I write this, AND another COMPLETE set as well. I plan to give one of the sets away to one of my three daughters, (whoever yells 'dibs' first!)

The yellow bowl was for mixing up boxed cake mixes (yellow cake, chocolate cake, white cake, angel food cake), big batches of potato salad (potatoes, boiled eggs, chopped onion, mayo, mustard, salt, pepper and the secret ingredient: celery seed). The green bowl was for lime jello with grated carrots and pineapple, the red bowl was for cherry jello with fruit cocktail, and a lovely kidney bean/boiled egg/celery salad my mom made on hot summer days. Sometimes the red bowl was for whipping cream in small quantities, but for large, splashy quantities we used the yellow bowl. The blue bowl was used for sauces and leftovers.

Well I better go check how my bids are faring!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

DIBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!