Monday, January 18, 2010

Slouchy Cable Beret, so to speak

The Winter of Knitting....2009/2010



I have enjoyed knitting this cabled slouchy hat because the project unfolds quickly with  Arabella Aurora Bulky merino wool and size 10 1/2 circular needles. I'm at the point where I need to switch to a set of double pointed needles in order to finish the hat.This is where I get lazy, if I can't find those double pointed needles the first time I look for them I tend to get distracted and start reading my book (currently reading Middlesex and I Was Told There'd Be Cake) or do the dishes (I really don't mind hand washing the dishes..... 90% of the time) or pull out a painting to work on. What's with this lax work ethic? Here's my hat, all it needs is a few more rounds of knitting and it's finished! Maybe I don't want the project to end...(it's not a cheap project, the wool for this costs $8.95 per skein and the pattern calls for 5 skeins, a total of $45 just for the yarn).
Anyway, knitting this hat has given me a new confidence to tackle more elaborate projects, perhaps I will knit the February Ladies Sweater (free pattern) next.
I still have a cable beanie to finish for my niece Soraya, who is a UO Duck. I hand dyed two skeins of yarn, one in bright yellow and the other in bright green. I cast on 92 sts in the yellow and did a K2P2 rib for nearly 2" before switching to the green wool for the body of the cap. I knit one for Kenzie in the Duck colors, and three (in South Eugene HS colors: purple and black) for my other nieces and nephew (go AXEMEN!).
I've also knit three baby cable beanies and two toddler cable beanies. That makes a total of 11 hats so far this winter!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

LOL -- I'm exactly the same way! If one thing isn't easy enough to do, there's always somewhere else to place my attention! It looks really cute so far!