Earl Grey Tea Cake
Since September Kenzie has been eating gluten free and vegan (for the most part). We happened upon this cool bakery in the Freemont district of Seattle last fall and stopped in for some chai and banana bread. Everything looked amazing. When I saw the baking/cook book I knew we needed it! I bought the book (the items in the shop look just like the photos in the book) and asked the bakers to sign it.
Today I baked the Earl Grey Tea Cake for the second time. This time it turned out better than the first time. I poured the batter into three pans rather than two loaf or one ten-inch. There is an abundance of batter and if it is too thickly poured it doesn't bake thoroughly and falls apart. You might be amazed to know that this cake/bread has 6 cups of flour (brown rice and garbanzo/fava) 3 cups of maple syrup (I know, expensive) 1 1/3 cup oil, baking soda, salt and 3 cups of Earl Grey Tea! That's where the delicate smoky flavor comes from. Oh yum.
Too bad it's not a favorite of Kenzie's but David and I love it! |
2 comments:
Sounds yummy! Why is Kenzie going gluten-free and vegan? Is she feeling healthier since doing it?
I love the post on Angel Romero, too! What a treat!
Amanda,
for so many reasons:
it makes her body feel better,
it's better for her,
better for the world,
it's healthier,
it's smart!
YES, she feels healthier and more energetic, no headaches, never feels sick, and has made her eating habits better. She never feels sluggish anymore.
Post a Comment