It has been three weeks ago yesterday that I had the total hip replacement surgery. I've come a long way since waking up from anesthesia, with a huge yellow foam wedge strapped between my legs, a drain coming from below my wound, oxygen tube around my face, 19 staples and a bandage on my right thigh, and IV in my left hand. All the discomforts one can imagine. As each encumbrance was removed I rejoiced. The last bit, the staples, came out last week, about 9 days ago. My strength and agility are coming back. I count my healing in daily small amounts, sometimes imperceptible amounts. But after two or three days of no perceptible progress I notice a leap forward in stamina, flexibility and strength. So it is vitally important to keep up the daily exercises, those 20 repetitions, four times a day each.
I've been paying attention to pain (or discomfort) levels also. I'm no longer taking the 12 hour oxycontin, but continue with a 24 hour celebrex, and tramadol as needed (1-2 tabs every 4-6 hours). I have gone as long as 15 hours without the extra dose of tramadol. The thing about tissue pain is that it is different from nerve pain. It's more of a general discomfort, a sense of holding my breath, of not being able to relax and move easily. Regulating my body temperature is also a factor in my overall sense of well being. Sometimes I'm too hot, sometimes I'm nearly shivering.
I'm able to shower, wash my hair and shave my 'good' (unoperated) leg in the shower. After a few days of shaving only one leg I had an idea for attaching a razor to a long stick. Lo and behold it works! The only hitch is getting some kind of bodywash on the leg first. Haven't figured that out yet, so am shaving the operated leg with running water. BUT... To feel fresh and clean, with warm, soapy water running over me is luxurious. I can even get myself completely dressed with the exception of putting a sock on my right foot! I have a sock device to help me put my sock on myself, but have been lazy about requesting someone fetch it for me from the studio/shed.
I've found that taking a nap in the afternoon really restores my sense of well being. Usually my bladder
is what wakes me up (definitely at night). But I get about an hour of solid sleep once I get settled on my back and the covers pulled up just right. Sleeping on my back is not my style. I've learned to do because I have to. The other day I put three pillows between my knees, gently pulled myself over to my left side and added pillows behind my back. The sense of almost normal brought me to tears. I am living in such an elemental, primal state of being!
On Monday I had David get the cane out of the studio. Using it the first time felt great, if a bit wobbly. My gait is improving the more I use the cane. Baby steps!!!
I'm able to wash dishes and do laundry! It just takes time and planning. Like my mother-in-law Kathy said, "everything is a calculation". So when I bend over I extend my right leg behind me to keep the angle of the hip in the safety zone. Plus it makes me feel more like a dancer.
I'm currently knitting my third project, a 'kerchief' out of Madelinetosh merino DK yarn, in the color called Byzantine, using size 8 circular needles. It's going pretty fast so I'm already day dreaming about the fourth project!
I'm continually grateful and thankful for my family surrounding me with their love, care, shopping and doing what I cannot. They are the best. I feel their love.
No comments:
Post a Comment