Wednesday, April 3, 2013

No more handicap parking.

I saw my doctor in October (15th, I think) and gave him the Department of Transportation request for a handicap parking hang tag. That afternoon I waited for over an hour at the DMV for my tag. This past Sunday my tag expired. It was fun while it lasted, being able to take those coveted close to the business parking spots. But I was ready to throw it away on April 1. In fact, I don't want to keep any souvenirs of my surgery, other than my beautiful scar.

This week I parked in my regular teacher parking spot, number 101. The walk to my building is a nice distance, with a bit of an uphill climb at the beginning. I was grateful for each and every pain-free, limp-free step I took. I had not walked this way since late September last year, six months ago. I didn't even use my cane!

In my classroom I can move around the crowded tables, avoiding the backpacks on the floor, and help students without thinking about my hip. This is a huge milestone.

Today I did a little deep cleaning of supplies, and was able to maneuver the clear plastic storage boxes of donated yarn back into the storeroom all by myself. The notion of lifting something of substance and weight (not too much weight) and staying on my feet at the same time is a hurdle I just sailed over!

No comments: