Monday, March 23, 2009

First Morning with Wesley, Tommy, Anna and Jocie


After 21 hours of travel (from 6am Saturday PST, to 11am Sunday (Germany time) I arrived safely in Frankfurt. Clearing customs, getting my bag and exiting took only 10 minutes, Jocie and kids were waiting eagerly outside the frosted sliding doors in the Frankfurt airport. The airport was amazingly quiet, not crowded. We quickly got to the van and left for Schneckenhausen, about an hour's drive. The sky was lightly overcast, and spring has not yet sprung except for a few crocus here and there. Jocie had packed a lunch (she's always prepared) so we ate sandwiches, chips and fruit as we drove down the A63 towards Schneckenhausen.

I was determined to stay awake till 7pm, and not give in to jetlag!

Gifts were given, tea was made and stories told. Anna decided to 'accept' me with her new ritual of pushing. We pushed back and forth for awhile (see photos on facebook). I took a shower and changed into fresh comfy clothes, napped on the couch in the living room while the kids watched a dvd (I knew if I descended into the cozy bed in the guestroom downstairs I'd likely fall asleep indefinitely). After an hour of snoozing we all took the 'Llama Walk' (the llamas have been long gone, but the name remains). The boys took their bicycles, Anna rode the stroller and sometimes kicked the green ball (she will be a good soccer player!) along the farm roads. Many more people were out walking, riding bikes and yes, driving their little Honda civics along the route. It's Sunday, of course that's the day that people get out and take walks with their families!

We ate leftovers for dinner, and I went to bed at 7pm. I woke up at 11:30 when Kenzie came to bed, but not to sleep! We both read our 'Twilight' books till 3am! I'm just starting the series, and she finished book four. I called Dave at midnight and we chatted for 1/2 hour. It was good to connect and catch up on the past 30 hours of our lives. He and David are going to eastern Oregon today, staying in a friend's mobile home on property near Bend. They will explore the Newbury crater and the John Day fossil beds for a few days.

I got up at 9am, it is now 11:30am and we are trying to get Kenzie to get out of bed! She gave in to her jetlag and slept from 4pm Saturday till noon on Sunday, silly girl! Fighting the urge to sleep off jetlag is the only way to get onboard with the new time zone, as difficult as that is. Now I need to hop in the shower.
My ears are still sensitive from the pressure of the flights. Not exactly 'ringing' but feeling highly sensitive to the kid's shrieks and cries. Anna just went down for a nap and things are quieter in the house.

1 comment:

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

How nice to hear all about your arrival. I haven't checked facebook yet to see more pictures, but I will. I have been busy painting kitchen cabinets in our rental. A couple that seems interested in renting it came by to look, so please pray it rents right away. Have a blast with each other. Wish I was there with you!